What Are Precision Electromechanical Products?
Electromechanical products are components used in electromechanical equipment, such as integrated circuits and PC boards. Some of these components utilize an electrical input to produce a mechanical output—i.e., some form of movement such as turning or rotation—while others, such as standoffs, spacers, and clips, serve as organizational or structural support for the equipment.
Regardless of their function, they must be built with precision and to tight tolerances to ensure proper operation of the electromechanical equipment. In general, the more precise the component, the more expensive the system. To warrant the higher cost, hardware manufacturers must ensure they deliver accurate parts.
In the following article, we outline some of the types of precision electromechanical products we—at Nine Fasteners—offer and factors to consider when designing or selecting one for an application.
An Overview of Precision Electromechanical Products
Types of Electromechanical Products
At Nine Fasteners, we offer a wide range of electromechanical and computer components. Our product offerings include:
- These electromechanical components feature a tube- or ring-shape design that fits on the exterior of wires prior to their placement in a piece of equipment. They are generally made of thermoplastic and protect the wire from external environmental factors.
- Routing hardware. Routing hardware is used for cable and wire management to get the wiring positioned properly. Examples of routing hardware include channels, brackets, and bends.
- Standoffs and spacers. Both of these components are used to physically and electrically connect components in electrical assemblies and circuit boards. They are differentiated based on whether they feature threads; standoffs are threaded at both ends, while spacers are unthreaded. We offer them in a variety of diameters and lengths in round, hex, and swage shapes with metal options that include aluminum, brass, and stainless steel.
- These fasteners grip inserted components. We offer standard and custom fabricated component clips in vertical, horizontal, fuse, and spring options. Materials options include beryllium copper, stainless steel, and spring steel. Spring clips grip the components through spring tension, and fuse clips directly mount fuses to PCBs.
Industries Served by Electromechanical Products
Electromechanical products serve a number of different industries. Among them are:
- Alternative energy
Design and Engineering Considerations for Electromechanical Components
When manufacturing or selecting an electromechanical component, there are several factors to consider to ensure you get the right one for your electromechanical system. Some of the design and engineering considerations to keep in mind include:
- Different materials are suitable for different applications. Some of the materials that components can be made out of include aluminum, brass, stainless steel, copper, nylon, and spring steel.
- When choosing a component for intricate equipment, such as printed circuits, proper sizing is key. For the system to operate as intended, everything must be properly fitted together.
- The shape of the component affects how it fits in the system. Some of the typical shapes for electromechanical components include round, hex, and swage.
- The various capacities of an electromechanical component—including voltage, current, and resistance—significantly affects its performance and the overall performance and limitations of the systems. It is crucial to ensure that the capacities of the component you choose to meet the requirements of the system and intended application.
- Environment/Application. Another aspect to consider when choosing an electromechanical component is the operating and environmental conditions to which it will be subjected. Factors to consider include exposure to chemicals, heat, and water/moisture.
- Certification requirements. Consider any types of industry standards or certifications that the equipment must have, and if your components meet those requirements.
Electromechanical Products From Nine Fasteners
At Nine Fasteners, we design, manufacture, and supply a broad selection of electromechanical and computer components suitable for use in the manufacturing sector. Although we specialize in providing electromechanical components for the solar energy industry, our products find application in a wide range of industries.
The products we offer are made in the USA and include:
- Cable hardware and accessories, such as beaded ties, cable clamps, grommets, tie holders, and wire clips
- Standoffs and spacers
- Clips, including spring, fuse, and solar panel clips
To support our high-quality products, we offer the following services:
- Inventory management
- BIN stocking
- JIT delivery
- Blanket ordering
- Value-added services
- Custom tooling
- Finishing and plating
- Customization services
With SEIA membership, UL product certification, and over 35 years of experience, our team has the skills, knowledge, and qualifications to offer you high-quality products tailored to your application. Whatever your wire management needs, our design and manufacturing teams will be able to provide you with what you require.